Florida the cruising capital of the world, the two main ports: Fort Lauderdale – Port Everglades and Miami – Port of Miami will be busy with ‘cruisers’. From families, couples or just groups of friends out to have a good time, everyone should be informed of what steps they should follow if they injured whilst on a cruise ship or cruising.
As a Fort Lauderdale attorney representing victims of cruise ship injuries over the past couple years my office has put together some steps you should take immediately or follow once you or a loved one are injured whilst vacationing on board a cruise ship.
1. Go to the ship's doctor to get treatment for your injury, should you require medical attention;
2. Take photographs of your injuries and keep records of all your medical bills etc
3. Prepare an accident report and submit to the Security department on the ship, keep a copy for your records;
4. Also get the ship’s Security Department report and keep for your records;
5. Take photographs of the scene of the incident before it changes, if possible. If the scene has changed, still take photographs;
6. Witnesses are very important so make sure and get all their information even if they live out of state or out of the country;
7. Should you require additional medical attention, go to a shore side doctor at the next port of call; keep your medical bills etc.
8. Should you decide to file suit or a claim, please see the Cruise Line ticket as that may specify where the suit/claim has to be filed. Miami is the headquarters of many of the large cruise lines so the ticket may specify Miami, Dade County, Florida.
NOTE: If suit is filed in the wrong location and one year has gone by, your claim could be thrown out of court and it maybe too late to file in the correct location.
The above are just some steps and things to remember if you plan a cruise vacation. Hopefully, you will not have to worry about any of these things and you will have a safe and enjoyable vacation, however, it is better to be aware of your rights.
Should you or a loved one be the victim of injury on board a cruise ship, please seek immediate legal counsel once you are back from your trip to ensure you are compensated for your damages and medical bills incurred. Our firm represents clients throughout Florida who have been injured in a boating accident, or individuals in a cruise ship accident anywhere in the Caribbean. If you or a loved one has suffered an injury as a result of a boating or cruise ship accident, contact us online or call us at 954 431 8100 or 305 624 9186 to set up a FREE consultation to discuss your legal options.