In an earlier blog this month I mentioned that March is considered Bicycle month in South Florida. Just got a notification that the City of Coconut Creek with be hosting a Bicycle Safety event this weekend at Sabal Pines Park.
(Sun Sentinel, FL) The City of Coconut Creek Parks & Recreation Department, the Coconut Creek Police Department, Broward County Bike Patrol and Alex’s Bicycle Pro Shop are sponsoring “Let’s Move Bicycle Safety,” an event where kids can learn how to ride a bike and change a flat bicycle tire. The pro shop will have racing bikes on display and kids can meet a professional bike racer.
The event is from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday, March 31 at Sabal Pines Park, 5005 Northwest 39 Avenue. It’s free and no registration is required. For more information, call 954-956-1580 or visit www.coconutcreek.net/events.
As a Fort Lauderdale Attorney I have represented families of victims of bicycle accidents, recently I posted a blog about a 15year old what was involved in an accident in Davie whilst riding to school. I cannot begin to stress the Due Diligence that cyclist have to follow when sharing the roadways with vehicles or even in the parks with other cyclist, skateboarders, people running or walking.
1. PLEASE ALWAYS WEAR PROPER HEADGEAR /HELMET
2. Wear brightclothes - so you will be seen by other bicyclist; pedestrians; and road users;
3. Ensure your bicycle is outfitted with lights and reflectors;
4. Also just like when driving no texting the same applies for cyclist no texting and no use of headphones or headsets as you may be distracted and not be alert to the noises around you such as a car horn blowing;
5. Always wear the right clothing - pants with loose pant legs can get caught up in the bike chain; wear the correct shoes preferrable sneakers as other types of footwear will not grip the pedals. Barefoot riding is NOT an option.
As a Fort Lauderdale Personal Injury Attorney practicing this type of law for over 10 years, I have represented cyclist that have been the victims of reckless drivers on the road with success. I have ensured that their loved ones receive the compensation that they deserve. Should you or a loved one become a victim of personal injury please do not hesitate to contact our office for your free consultation via telephone 954 431 8100 or 305 624 9186 or online.