Published on:

How Do I Get Paid When I Win My Accident Case?

Steven Davis will collect as much as $47.5 million following a jury trial which concluded in February. Davis was driving his motorcycle on State Road 434 in October 2006 when a pair of teens plowed into him head-on with their Ford F-150 truck. The 27-year-old Davis suffered multiple injuries including a broken collarbone, pelvis and arms. Davis also suffered a shattered jaw, a collapsed lung and was left unable to have children. He sued the owners of a website,, that had advertised a party where alcohol was to be served to minors. The two teens who hit him had come from the party and were driving while intoxicated.

Additional proceedings are to be held to decide exactly who is to pay for the jury award of $7.5 million in medical expenses and lost wages along with $40 million in damages for pain and suffering. Once this is decided, Davis’ lawyers must work with the Florida court system to arrange to collect the damages owed to him.

Getting a judgment paid generally means getting the court to order a lien on the property of the people against whom the judgment was imposed. This can involve garnishing their wages or seizing property they own, although the person against whom the judgment was imposed (the defendant) can choose to voluntarily pay without that occurring.

The defendant does have certain rights under Florida law as well. The law allows them to exempt a certain percentage of their wages from garnishment as well as their personal home and up to $1,000 in personal property. Once the money is collected by the attorney, fees are generally taken from those funds and the remainder of the money is paid out in a lump sum to the client.

If you or a loved one has been injured following a car accident in Florida, it is important to speak with an attorney who specializes in working with car accident victims. Your lawyer at the Law Office of Cohn & Smith can help you to win an insurance claim or a jury award for damages to which you are entitled as well as help you recover the money once a judgment has been awarded. Contact our office or call us at (954)-213-6914 today for a consultation.

Contact Information