When it comes to a slip and fall accident, sometimes the victims involved miss their opportunity to properly file a lawsuit. If you’ve recently been injured in a slip and fall accident, be sure to speak with a professional slip and fall accident attorney before beginning the journey on your own.
Reasons to File
There are many reasons to file a slip and fall lawsuit. It’s important to know everything about the incident to help prove your case. Here are a few important factors to pay attention to.
- If the accident occurred and was due to another’s negligence, then that person is at fault. For example, sometimes spills occur and no one is warned, informed or even aware that the accident happened.
- If the manager or owner was aware of the accident and took too long to repair or clean it up, he or she may be at fault. It is his or her job to ensure the customers or employees in their place of business are safe.
- If a victim is seriously injured in this accident, then properly filing a claim can help the victim and/or the victim’s family receives a fair settlement.
Slip and Fall Examples
Slip and fall accidents can occur from a number of reasons. They can happen inside a building or outside on the property. Depending on how far the property extends and what accident occurs, the owner can be at fault. If you sustained an injury on business property, the owner might also be at fault. Some of the examples of injuries that may justify filing a slip and fall claim include:
- Icy or snow covered sidewalks or walkways. It is the responsibility of the business to clear walkways for pedestrians and customers to enter the premises safely.
- Slipping on a spill or wet area inside of the building. While some spills go unnoticed for a brief amount of time, wet floors need to have caution signs or be cleaned immediately to prevent accidents.
- Objects in the walkways can be hazardous. If they cause an accident, and the obstruction wasn’t clearly marked with a sign, then this might qualify as a reason to file a slip and fall claim.
- If a damaged floor or bad lighting causes an accident, you may be entitled to a settlement, especially if the items have been in poor condition for a lengthy amount of time.
Beware of Your Surroundings
While a slip and fall claim can help victims receive the settlement they are entitled to and deserve, there are other ways to help prevent these types of accidents. Be aware of your surroundings while inside or outside the property of a business.
- People make mistakes; if there is a spill, they are usually quite visible. Try to pay attention where you’re walking.
- Heed the warning signs—pay attention for caution or wet floor signs.
- Pay attention and stay alert. Avoid becoming distracted with a mobile device. Be sure to always look where you are going and not enter any forbidden areas.
Slip and Fall Attorney Fort Lauderdale
If you sustain an injury from a slip and fall, contact Cohn & Smith online or at (954) 687-0503. Our experienced and professional lawyers can help you file a claim that will get you the settlement you deserve. If you are unsure of filing a claim, contact us for further consultation. Fees are only charged if your case is successfully won and we do not charge anything upfront.